Dr Toms Krūmiņš
Toms is a Senior Associate at COBALT working in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice group.
He specializes in International and European Law, particularly Private International Law and International Civil Procedure, Commercial and Investment Arbitration, as well as Human Rights Law and Constitutional Law.
Toms has represented clients in numerous international (for example, ICC) and national arbitration proceedings, and successfully acted before the Constitutional Court of Latvia, the Supreme Court of Latvia, the Court of Justice of the European Union, as well as helped clients to succeed before the European Court of Human Rights.
Toms holds a Ph.D. degree from the University of Copenhagen. His research focused on the dichotomy between arbitration and human rights, in particular the interplay between setting-aside proceedings and parties’ procedural human rights under the European Convention on Human Rights.
Toms has authored or co-authored many publications, including a monograph ‘Arbitration and Human Rights’ (2020) published by Springer.
- Latvian, English
Membership & education
- Latvian Bar Association (since 2021)
- Ph.D. University of Copenhagen (2019)
- International Academy for Arbitration Law (scholarship recipient), Paris, France (2017)
- The Hague Academy of International Law: Private International Law Summer Course (2015)
- LL.M (cum laude) in International and Comparative Private Law, University of Groningen, Faculty of Law, Groningen, the Netherlands (2014)
- LL.B in European and International Law, Maastricht University, European Law School, Faculty of Law, Maastricht, the Netherlands (2013)