Jaanus Mody is the Managing Partner of COBALT Estonia and he heads the litigation, bankruptcy and reorganization team since 2001. A widely recognized insolvency expert with a legal practice of over 20 years, Jaanus has advised the market’s most successful restructuring and recovery plans, such as the acquisition of the bankrupt Werol Tehased and restructuring of logistics company Nordnet, both being among the very few successful restructuring cases in Estonia. Additionally, Jaanus advised Nordea and DNB banks on complex issues concerning the insolvent dairy producer Tere. The case involved complex parallel proceedings (restructuring, bankruptcy, various civil, administrative and criminal proceedings). The legal work made it possible for the banks to transfer all their claims to Tere’s main competitor Maag Grupp.
Jaanus has been a member of the Estonian Bar Association since 1995.
- Dispute Resolution - Chambers & Partners 2016
- Dispute Resolution - Leading Individial, Legal500 2016
- Dispute Resolution – Leading Individual, Legal500 2017
- Estonian, English, Russian
- Education & membership
- Master of Arts in Law (M.A.), University of Tartu, Faculty of Law, Estonia (1994)
- Member of the Estonian Bar Association (since 1995)
- COBALT represented Port of Tallinn in a dispute with Vesta Terminal
- COBALT advises HHLA on acquiring Estonia’s biggest terminal operator Transiidikeskuse AS
- COBALT advises Nordea and DNB banks on issues concerning insolvent dairy producer Tere
- COBALT represents a syndicate of banks in a dispute over Tere AS restructuring proceedings
- COBALT represented and worked out a unique restructuring of Nordnet
- COBALT advised Baltic Agro on the acquisition of the bankrupt Werol Tehased
- COBALT advised Trigon Dairy Farming, the largest dairy group in Estonia
Managing partner Jaanus Mody is well known as a strong litigator. He has a long track record of advising on business disputes, with particular expertise in insolvency-related matters. Clients appreciate his strong work ethic and "good advice."