Jaanus Mody is the Managing Partner of COBALT Estonia and head of the litigation, bankruptcy and reorganization team since 2001. A widely recognized insolvency expert with a legal practice of over 20 years, Jaanus has advised the market's most successful restructuring and recovery plans, such as acquisition of the bankrupt Werol Tehased and restructuring of logistics company Nordnet, both being among the very few successful restructuring cases in Estonia. Recently Jaanus advised Nordea and DNB banks on complex issues concerning insolvent dairy producer Tere, where the banks successfully exited by selling their claims. Jaanus also has a strong track record in disputes in the energy sector, for example representing Nelja Energia, the biggest wind energy provider in the Baltics, in a complicated dispute at the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce involving a manufacturer of wind parks over settlement of claims deriving from a supply contract for wind turbines.
Jaanus has been a member of the Estonian Bar Association since 1995.
- Dispute Resolution - Chambers & Partners 2016
- Dispute Resolution - Leading Individial, Legal500 2016
- Dispute Resolution – Leading Individual, Legal500 2017
- Estonian, English, Russian
- Education & membership
- 1994 MA, University of Tartu, Faculty of Law, Estonia
- Since 1995 Member of the Estonian Bar Association
- COBALT advises Nordea and DNB banks on issues concerning insolvent dairy producer Tere
- COBALT represents a syndicate of banks in a dispute over Tere AS restructuring proceedings
- COBALT represented and worked out a unique restructuring of Nordnet
- COBALT advised Baltic Agro on the acquisition of the bankrupt Werol Tehased
- COBALT advised Trigon Dairy Farming, the largest dairy group in Estonia
Managing partner Jaanus Mody is well known as a strong litigator. He has a long track record of advising on business disputes, with particular expertise in insolvency-related matters. Clients appreciate his strong work ethic and "good advice."