Partner, Head of Global Relations
Martin Simovart is a Partner and the Head of Global Relations at COBALT. Martin has more than 20 years of experience in the fields of mergers, acquisitions and private equity transactions, ranging from large-scale privatisation transactions to complex private equity transactions that encompass leveraged financing and cross-border regulatory issues, as well as acting on behalf of institutional investors. Being an internationally recognised adviser, he has participated in most of the major M&A transactions in Estonia and the Baltics.
Martin is the Head of the Pan-Baltic COBALT M&A practice group.
Sample overview of projects: RSA-PZU, Naspers-Eesti Meedia, Premia-Food Union, Circle K-Premium 7 and TMB-Betonimestarit.
Martin is a member of the International Bar Association (IBA).
Martin has been a member of the Estonian Bar Association since 1999.
- Corporate/Commercial - IFLR1000 2015
- Corporate and M&A - IFLR1000 2015
- Corporate and M&A - Legal 500 2015
- Corporate/Commercial - Chambers Europe 2015
- Corporate/Commercial - Chambers Global 2015
- Corporate and M&A - Chambers & Partners 2016
- Corporate and M&A - Leading Lawyer, IFLR1000 2016
- Corporate and M&A - Leading Individial, Legal500 2016
- M&A - Leading Individual, Legal500 2017
- Financial and Corporate - Highly Regarded, IFLR1000 2018
- Estonian, English, Russian
- Education & membership
- 1994 Queen Mary & Westfield College, London University, Diploma in International Arbitration and Project Finance
- 1994 Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree, University of Tartu, Estonia
- 2011 European Regional Council, World Services Group
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- 1999 Estonian Bar Association
- COBALT advises HHLA on acquiring Estonia’s biggest terminal operator Transiidikeskuse AS
- COBALT advised on sale of MTG Baltic subsidiaries
- COBALT advised Didi Chuxing on investment in Estonian-based transport app Taxify
- COBALT advised NASDAQ-listed The Middleby Corporation on acquisition of Sveba Dahlen Group
- COBALT advising on sale of IT company Affecto Estonia
- COBALT advised AS TMB, one of the largest manufacturers of concrete elements in the Baltics, on its acquisition of Betonimestarit-Group
- COBALT advises DNB upon combining its operations with Nordea in the Baltics
- COBALT advised Circle K (Statoil) upon acquisition of Premium 7 filling stations
- COBALT advised IT giant Rakuten in a 7.4 million EUR investment into Estonian origin start-up Lingvist
- COBALT advised Hanza Holding AB in the Estonian aspects of the acquisition of Metalliset Group
- COBALT advised Naspers on the sale of its Estonian and Lithuanian classifieds business to Eesti Meedia
- COBALT advised Premia on the sale of its ice-cream and frozen goods business to Food Union for 27.1 million euros
- COBALT advised Outdoor Life Group Holding B.V. on acquisition of shares of Lasita Maja
- COBALT advises RSA Insurance Group on the sale of businesses
- COBALT teamed with Castren & Snellmann on advising DT Group on a billion-euro acquisition of Finnish Puukeskus
- COBALT advised Amadeus IT Group on acquiring shares from Estonian Air
- COBALT teamed with Baker & McKenzie on advising Sika on the acquisition of AkzoNobel's building adhesives business
- COBALT advised Amphenol on acquisition of Ionix Aerospace Ltd and its subsidiaries
- COBALT advises EPhaG AS on the investment into its Moscow-listed subsidiary Pharmsynthez by US based OPKO Health Inc.
- COBALT provides advice about sale of four BPT Secura Fund assets in Tallinn
- COBALT advised Komas & funds managed by CapMan creating of Europe’s leading engineering industry manufacturing partner Fortaco
- COBALT advised Intel Capital on investing in Fortumo, a leading mobile payments provider
- COBALT advised Realeyes - internationally active start-up with Estonian background
- COBALT advised one of Europe’s leading suppliers of industrial coatings Teknos Group Oy on the acquisition of Kemiflora’s paints and coatings business
- COBALT advised Fashion Days Holding AG upon entering into the Baltic market
- COBALT advised Outokumpu - global leader in stainless steel - in divesting part of its European stock operations to Amari
- COBALT advised Xilinx, Inc. upon acquisition of business from wireless backhaul solutions provider Modesat Communications
- COBALT represented AS Toode, an Estonian roof manufacturer, in an acquisition of a Finnish company, JanLa Oy
- COBALT assisted Betsson AB on acquiring Nordic Gaming Group (NGG)
- COBALT advised Komas Oy upon acquisition of component manufacturing business in Estonia from Cargotec’s Group
"Martin Simovart […] is praised by sources for having "high international standards."