Viive Kaur is a Senior Associate at COBALT, mainly advising clients in intellectual property matters. Viive advised the establishing of an organisation for a new collective representation system for authors in Estonia, participated in drafting the Copyright Act in an expert group of the Ministry of Culture and has participated in several European Union intellectual property projects.
She also has extensive experience in representing clients in court disputes involving various private law fields, including in disputes pertaining to intellectual property and family law. Some examples of Viive’s experience include representing the chemical company Holz Prof in a patent dispute, and representing the holder of the trademark TULIKIVI as well as Nordnet, a company specialising in handling chilled and frozen products, in relation to the protection of trademarks. Viive has also successfully advised and represented clients with respect to false claims and inaccuracies published in the media in which she has managed to reach out-of-court settlements.
Viive has been a member of the Estonian Bar Association since 1996. Before joining COBALT, Viive worked as Deputy Manager of the Estonian Authors’ Society and as an editor for the journal Eesti Jurist.
- Intellectual Property – Chambers & Partners 2016
- IP, IT and Telecoms – Leading Individial, Legal500 2016
- Intellectual Property – Chambers Europe 2016
- Intellectual Property – Chambers Europe 2017
- IP, IT and Telecoms – Leading Individual, Legal500 2017
- Intellectual Property – Ranked Lawyer, Chambers Europe 2019
- IP, IT and telecoms – Leading Individual, Legal 500 2019
- Real estate and construction – Leading Individual, Legal 500 2019
- Estonian, English, Russian, Finnish
- Education & membership
- MA cum laude , University of Tartu, Faculty of Law, Estonia (1978)
- Member of the Estonian Press Council (since 2015)
- Member of the Estonian Press Council (2007-2011)
- Member of the Estonian Bar Association (since 1996)
- Senior associate Viive Kaur successfully represented a jewellery artist in a dispute
- COBALT successfully represented its client in dispute against Fund Ehitus
- COBALT successfully represented the chemical company Holz Prof in a patent dispute
- COBALT successfully represents Nordnet OÜ in trade mark dispute
- Viive Kaur advised producer of "The Idiot" on copyright issues
“A refined thinker and an astute counsellor when disputes arise, whether at home or further afield.”