Viive Kaur is a Senior Associate at COBALT, mainly advising clients in intellectual property matters. Viive advised the establishing of an organisation for a new collective representation system for authors in Estonia, participated in drafting the Copyright Act in an expert group of the Ministry of Culture and has participated in several European Union intellectual property projects.
She also has extensive experience in representing clients in court disputes involving various private law fields, including in disputes pertaining to intellectual property and family law. Some examples of Viive’s experience include representing the chemical company Holz Prof in a patent dispute, and representing the holder of the trademark TULIKIVI as well as Nordnet, a company specialising in handling chilled and frozen products, in relation to the protection of trademarks. Viive has also successfully advised and represented clients with respect to false claims and inaccuracies published in the media in which she has managed to reach out-of-court settlements.
Viive has been a member of the Estonian Bar Association since 1996. Before joining COBALT, Viive worked as Deputy Manager of the Estonian Authors’ Society and as an editor for the journal Eesti Jurist.
- Legal 500, IP, IT and Telecoms, Rising Star – 2023
- Chambers Europe, Intellectual Property, Ranked Lawyer – 2019 / 2022
- Legal 500, IP, IT and Telecoms, Leading Individual – 2019
- Legal 500, Real Estate and Construction, Leading Individual – 2019
- Estonian, English, Russian, Finnish
Membership & education
- Member of the Estonian Press Council (since 2015)
- Member of the Estonian Press Council (2007-2011)
- Member of the Estonian Bar Association (since 1996)
- MA cum laude, University of Tartu, Faculty of Law, Estonia (1978)