Edgars is one of the most recognised and respected public law experts in Latvia. His field of expertise is constitutional law (including human rights), administrative law, administrative procedures and legal technique in developing draft laws, proceedings in the constitutional and administrative courts, legal aspects of establishment management (including reorganization of establishment; prevention of conflict of interest in actions of public officials; personnel management; application of provisions of the law in prevention of squandering) and use and legal protection of state symbols.
Edgars has represented the Latvian Saeima (Parliament) in more than 90 cases before the Latvian Constitutional Court in the capacity of legal adviser of the Saeima Law Office. He has been legal advisor to the President of Latvia and the Auditor General (State Audit Office) as well as advised the management of the Ministry of Education and Science on legal issues.
He has participated in elaborating and adopting some important laws and amendments such as Law on Remuneration of Officials and Employees of State and Local Government Authorities, Law on management of European Union structural funds and Cohesion funds, Spatial Development Planning Law, Development Planning System Law, Construction Law, Law on Submissions, Law on Security of Information Technologies.
Edgars has also co-authored several key books on constitutional law.
- Latvian, English, Russian
- Education & membership
- Master’s degree in Law, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia (2006)
- Lawyer’s qualification, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia (2005)
- Latvian Bar Association (Bar membership temporarily suspended due to secondment to Association of Commercial Banks of Latvia)
- Member of State Heraldry Commission (since 2015)
- COBALT successfully represents Jaunjelgava Municipality before the Constitutional Court, contesting regulation which determines minimum number of pupils in class
- COBALT advises Latvian Wind Energy Association
- COBALT advises Ministry of Transport of Latvia
- COBALT advised SIA Technological Solutions in construction of a CHP facility with a power of 4 MWel